Friday 17 February 2017

Taking the opportunity to meet customers face to face

After many years of selling antiques and collectables at various fairs in and around Brisbane, I felt a need to meet my book customers face to face.

I know the internet is a fabulous tool and a marvellous way to reach a wide audience, however I do miss the buzz you get from attending a fair.

With this in mind I have sallied forth to attend a few local markets, mainly to hand out bookmarks and talk about my website. Luckily, I only took along a few books, as the heat has been intense and reeks havoc on your books.
 It has been very interesting; talking to people about vintage books and what people are looking for and importantly, why they still buy books. I did get a few people who informed me that 'books are a thing of the past' and 'just a waste of space', happily, there were not too many of those and my venture was very informative and interesting.

It seems that books are highly emotive, especially children's books and many people are searching for books they read as a child, or read to their children and want a copy for their Grandchildren. Young people are keen on a pristine copy of their favourite author's work. Also picture books - my personal favourite - are universally loved.

It was great to get out and meet fellow booklovers, but I have to admit it's lovely to chat to you on the phone and via email, at least a lot more comfortable for my books!

So, it would seem that books are still a perennial favourite and a long way from being "a thing of the past". Hurrah!
And if you would like to meet me face to face :) I will be attending Aladdins Collectables Fair at Windsor, Brisbane on the March 26th.

Hope to meet you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog